Tuesday, October 03, 2006

LIBRARY BOOKS

I love finding good library books! Here are a few inserts from our latest greatest reads! Hope you can find them at your library and read them... they are great!

"Thesaurus Rex" by Laya Steinberg
Thesaurus Rex starts to slip: slither, skid, slide and glide. Whee! What a speedy ride!
Thesaurus Rex lands in mud: slime, slush, mire and muck. Oh no! Now he's stuck.

"How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?" by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
Does a Dinosaur roar?
Does he mope, does he moan, does he sulk, does he sigh?
No, dinosaurs don't. They don't even try.
They give a big kiss.
[each page has a different dinosaur and on the page it has the name of the dinosaur. Have been told by the boys that they want this for their birthday! one boy's birthday has passed but another boy has his birthday later this month. hmmmm]

"Some Smug Slug" by Pamela Duncan Edwards
One summer Sunday while stroling on soil,
with its antennae signaling,a slug sensed a slope.
Slowly the slug started up the steep surface, stringing behind it scribble sparkling like silk.
'Stop!' screamed a sparrow, shattering the silence.
[s words continue through the whole book until the succulent ending... so silly we love it]

"COOKIES Bite-Size Life Lessons" by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
COOPERATE means, How about you add the chips while I stir?
PATIENT means, waiting and waiting for the cookies to be done. Aren't I waiting so nicely? Still waiting.
POLITE means, Excuse me, can you please pass the cookies? Thank you.
[I AM GOING TO BUY THIS BOOK FOR SURE!!!!]

"Dragon Scales and Willow Leaves" by Terryl Givens
Jonathan and Rachel were twins. But they didn't look the same. And they didn't see things the same way, either. One day Jonathan went into the woods to hunt for buried treasure, and Rachel went to look for robins nests. "DRAGON!" cried Jonathan, and out flew his sword.... Rachel didn't see any dragon. She was watching the leaves of a weeping willow float softly down...
[Exactly as my boys' imagination would see!]

"FRIENDSHIP values to live by" by Sharon Lee Roberts
Friendship is holding a friend while she learns to roller-skate.
And when you've been playing at a friend's house, friendship is helping pick up.
Friendship is doing something all of you can do together.
[There are several to this series but with different authors! All exactly as it is titled "values to live by! I also want to add any Joy Berry books. Books about cheating, lying, bad tempers, forgetfulness, etc. Cute illustrations and good examples!]

"Mr. Bear's New Baby" by Debi Gliori
The story is the bears has a new baby and will not stop crying and go to sleep. All the forest animals come to offer advice but baby bear will not stop sleeping. Finally all of the animal friends leave to go to bed leaving the bear family with a still crying baby. Small bear says the baby bears is still crying maybe because he wants someone to cuddle up with. You're absolutely right, Small. Mr. Bear say Let's see if a bedful of bears to cuddle into will help Baby bear go to sleep, just this once. They climb into bed and the new baby stopped crying immediately. [here comes Daniel's favorite part] The house was full of the sound of sleeping bears. All, that is, except for Mr. Bear. He lay in the dark, listening the Mrs. Bear snoring [um, yeah if I am really tired I do!] The baby stretched like a furry starfish and smiled in her sleep. How can someone so small take up so much room? wondered Mr. Bear.
[cute and wonderful family bed or sleeping with children story!]

Okay, those are my somewhat small inserts from a few of our favorite library books. Hope you enjoyed! Let me know if you have read these or is you have some favorites we could check out!

Oh yeah -- out ultimate favorite is "Seven Silly Eaters" too funny! My favorite line "Homemade bread and lots of it.
Peeling apples by the peck
Mrs. Peters was a wreck!"
or
"Peter, Lucy, and young Mac had another brother Jack.
Before another year was through,
who came along? Why Mary Lou!"

3 comments:

Erin said...

So what books did you get for yourself?

rcsnickers said...

um, "Some Smug Slug" was for me... hee hee!! No, I am skimming trying to read "The Well Trained Mind." I had to return it though because it was on hold for someone else. The library is holding "Sink Reflection" by the Fly Lady and I will get that tomorrow when we are in town.

Personally, I am reliving my childhood by reading all of the kids books. I enjoy them more now than I did when I was a child. I look forward to reading all the favorites and classics that I missed by not reading as a child. yeah, I know sad, but I was very limited in books as a girl. If it was not a Laura Ingles Wilder book I did not want or like to read it!

Letisha

Erin said...

Sink Reflections is awesome! I read your housecleaning schedule earlier and I think you'd do really well adapting that to FlyLady.

I can't wait until Grace is old enough to understand Laura Ingles Wilder. THey were my favorites!