Thursday, September 28, 2006

CLEANING

I am a slowly learning better ways to manage my time and housework, or actually do housework. I used to do all the house work in one day while the baby was sleeping. But truth be known, by then I did not feel like cleaning. It was my quiet time and I wanted to do nothing! So I would put it off until oh tomorrow which became tomorrow again very quickly! So a friend had shared with me how she had set days for different house work. I thought I would try it. I can say that for the past two years I have kept to my schedule.

Monday
groceries (once a month)
laundry
Tuesday
dust
take trash to road
Wednesday
mop
clean refrigerator
Thursday
laundry
vacuum upstairs and down
Friday
bathrooms
wash towels
Saturday
wash linens -- want to move to another day (tuesday?)
wash work clothes
yard work
prepare for next wk of school

wash diapers every 3 days
wash dishes every day (Used to be when there were no clean dishes left. Then when the dishes overflowed in the sink. Then it was at the end of the day. Then it was after each meal but left on the rack to dry until start of next meal I would put them away. Now it is after each meal, towel dry, and put away! We do not have a dishwasher! Also, I used to wash while the water was running. I know, bad, waste of water! But I always felt like water in the sink got dirty and then I would be cleaning dishes with dirty water. Truth be known, I now like this method. The children can help me so much better! I wash, they dip it in the hot clean water to rinse and put on dish rack. No ongoing running water tempting them to put their hands in or cups and make huge messes or great big waterfalls! So per meal I have a different child helping me. I love this time so much more than just me at the sink! Anyway, many of you already know this wonderful concept and now I can testify to it!

I have heard and been to fly lady but personally I think it is too much for me! I am attempting to make a monthly list of chores to spread it out through the year and to make sure I do it. I love Large Family Logistics. Thanks to Sarah who told me about them. They have a great plan to compare and take from. I cannot wait until I have a complete schedule that works for me and am used to it!


What are your daily chores/routine? Any suggestions for me?

Side note: I made this and left as a draft last Saturday. I did read some stuff on Fly lady and I think Peacock was reading over my shoulder! Monday morning he made my sink shine after we washed the dishes! Then he put the clothes in the dryer for me -- without me saying anything. Later he took the clothes out of the dryer and put them in the basket. He slid the basket into the living room. I mentioned something and he said "I've done enough work. I have already [listed everything he did as work] this morning. I am tired!" Yeah-- I know how you feel! But thank you Peacock for your exceptional work around the house this morning... you don't know how much I appreciated it!!!!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I agree about FlyLady. I started it 2 years ago and don't really use it fully. Kindof adapted it for our needs.

rcsnickers said...

I know you have her on your link. I often wondered if you followed her steps -- where are your shoes? go shine you sink!

I signed up with FlyLady the other day. Who has the time to read 15 messages a day! She does have some really good ideas. Breaking the house into zones helps break the house work up into smaller section/time limits.


Letisha

Anonymous said...

Ha! I'm laughing at your Flylady comments. I heard about Flylady a couple of years ago and immediatly signed up. By the end of the second day I was just deleting emails without reading them. I was so irritated with all the emails. And no matter what anyone says, I refuse to get dressed to my shoes. I want to be comfy, so it's bare feet, slippers or socks at my house! And my sink is rarely shined. But some of her stuff is good... the hot zones or whatever she calls them. Setting the timer.
ANYWAY, I came over to say thank you for your comment on my final post. I appreciate you taking the time to comment!
Blessings to you and yours,
Stacy