Thursday, March 08, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!


Yesterday was my Mom's birthday! The boys wanted to get her flowers for her birthday. We made her a strawberry cake and dinner. I put a candle for each grandchild that she has as of date.

So, how do you teach a child to buy a gift that the person wants not want the child wants? I knew she wanted the Walton's season on DVD. Peacock just knew she wanted a Care Bear DVD! He was pretty sad that we were not getting her the Care Bear DVD. I did not want him to be sad while buying a gift, yet want him to understand this lesson of buying for others. Result: we bought the Care Bear DVD. We all learned our lessons. 1. He apologized to Grandma for getting the Care Bear DVD that she may really not of wanted. 2. After watching it I realized that I really need to watch it before I allow them to. Though cute and cuddly as bears, they do have some questionable stuff in the dvd. 3. Stick with instincts. I just had a feeling I should of bought the other item.

Thanks Mom for liking the gifts the children picked out! I hope you had a wonderful birthday. We love you and are thankful you are with us to enjoy special days and mundane days.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

For my husband's birthday this past January, I told each of my children that they could choose a gift for him. Anything they wanted. But their limit was $1... at the dollar store. That way, when my son gleefully sought out two small dinosaurs (that I had the sneeking suspicion were maybe, just maybe, for *him* and not for his daddy... ;)), we were only out $1. AND... my husband got a good chuckle out of the story and gift! I suppose if he weren't 3 years old and it wasn't so cute, I would begin a shopping trip with a couple of choices: would you like to buy "a" or "b"? (two good options), and let him choose which one! :)
~Stacy

Erin said...

LOL Same has happened here. Some of the CareBears stuff is questionable. I saw an old MyLittlePony show here the other day and was like, I didn't remember there being spells and wizards, etc! OK, so no more of that!

Kim said...

Thanks for making a cake for mom! Looks like you all had a lot of fun! Yes, I was shock when you told me that you bought a Carebear dvd.