Monday, August 28, 2006

OUR SCHOOLING IN REVIEW

When researching and learning about homeschool I really liked the classical approach. I forgot about it. I definitely want to follow it or read more on it. I found "The Well Trained Mind" at the library and will attempt to read it... atempt meaning when I have time to spare.

As for our BJU curriculum, I LOVE the bible! The layout, verses, stories, everything is great! It has a lot of songs to learn and I am learning them on the piano! Yes, Mom, don't faint -- you read it correctly, I am playing the piano again! Remember "He's still working on me..." Math is good. I would love to see Saxon K math and compare. The worktext (phonics, art, heritage study, etc) is made for class setting. I take some ideas and skip other ideas. It does give additional learning activites if we want to do them. Usually I read a connecting Bible story, play a game or read more books.

Here is our schedule so far --

6am I wake --- yep,another shocker -- me up at sunrise! Please pick my Mom off the floor since I know she fainted after reading that one! I am the "sleep through the loud alarm clock child" who she struggled to get out of bed as a child!
7am children wake up
make bed, brush teeth, get dressed
7:30 breakfast
clean up
8:30 Bible
Worktext
10:00 break (goldish, fruit, smoothies)
10:15 Math
11:00 Lunch
clean up
read, play game, cuddle

What do the the other three do doing school? Well, so far Smiley has been taking a nap from 9ish until 12! Wonderful! Little Mama sits on my lap or brings little people stuff to play with near me. HooDoo sits with us and does some work, at times he will go play in the other room but shortly comeas basck to join us. When we are coloring I will give Little Mama scrap paper and a crayon and she can join in with us. So far, not too bad. It will take training and patience (on my part) in keeping the younger ones occupied and not to interrupt. My goal is for schooing to be fun and for the little ones to not feel like I am pushing them away but including them in the fun! Hopefully,we will get to a point where it is just natural to be doing this stuff. Usually, craft days were one day and never again until someone or I felt like today is a good day to do something fun!

oh yeah -- funny. For the bible connection I read Daniel 3 the story about Sha'-drack, Me'-shach and A-bed'-ne-go. I started by telling them we were going to read Daniel 3 now Neb-u-chad-nez-zar was king and he made when I was interrupted by Peacock. He says "Mom King Darius was king during Daniel" Oh I love it!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wow you were up at 6am???!?!? I don't even function until 10am...

You have me motivated to be a little more scheduled!

Oh, and I got your comment by email the same time I was reading your blog LOL